Metro will be starting the process of developing a Union Station Master Plan. The Los Angeles region has an incredible opportunity to “think big” when it comes to transforming Union Station.
The effort will involve a number of components, as quoted from a Metro Board report (PDF):
1. Synthesis of current , 10 and 20 year transit operations requirements for the site as identified by transit stake holders
2. Commercial development market opportunities assessment
3. Analysis of Union Station’s physical capacity to meet ridership requirements consistent with its National Register status
4. Assessment of infrastructure capacities and constraints
5. Review of Alameda District Specific Plan
6. Land use plan alternatives
7. Parking demand and traffic analyses
8. Station access and connectivity plan to La Plaza, Olvera Street, Little Tokyo, etc.
9. Infrastructure development and financing strategy
10. Development of final Master Plan
11. Preparation of Design Guidelines for commercial development component